Thursday, February 7, 2008

Blank white paper

I am starting on a new series with the fabric collage. So far I have researched ideas for subject matter and settled on two different themes: oceans and trees. I am planning on doing four pieces for each theme so I suppose it could be labelled two series though both sets deal with nature themes. Each set will have it's own colour palette and compositional style.

'Oceans' will have a linear composition much like the previous fabric collages.  This will help illustrate  a scene of calm, sparkling water  and a sandy beach at low tide. I will concentrate on establishing values to depict a sense of space and create rhythm. The colour palette will include shades of turquoise, cool blues and beige-pink sand shades.

'Trees' will focus on proportional placement of shapes, large/medium/small,  to define the composition. I am looking to create a lush, deep green/gold scene. The colour palette will include mossy greens,warm orange, gold, and a bit of cool blue sky.

Rather than just dive in I have taken a more measured approach to getting started by first defining the compositions, then creating a set of value studies for each and finally doing quick colour studies in pastel for each image.  This helps me to define my ideas and visualize where I want to go with them.  And strangely, it also helps me to get engaged and really excited about my next project!  It gets me past the "blank white paper" stage. Now I can focus and start making my ideas come to life.

I have included pictures of both  'oceans' and 'trees'  done as value studies and colour studies. You might call them "my stretching exercises" before the marathon. I guess we all need a way to jumpstart our engines now and then.

oceans and trees 011 - Copy

oceans and trees 008 - Copy

oceans and trees 012 - Copy

oceans and trees 015 - Copy

No comments: