Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Fresh start

I am back at it and starting fresh. Though I am attempting to maintain a similar feel and style to the "Sea" piece, the subject matter has changed to trees and and palette to  green and gold.  I began by layering strips of fabrics in various  green hues, slashing through them to create texture, felting them down and then adding wools and the wool roving or "dog fur" as I fondly refer to it! The natural coloured wool roving softens the greens and creates a woven appearance. 

I am constantly breaking  needles with this felting process even though this time I am taking care to felt only a thin layer of fabrics and wools.  I might rethink the process again when I have finished these pieces to reduce the amount of felting required. The needles cost $14 for 6, a bit pricey to break on a regular basis.

This time I will work hard  to not as they say "over work this piece!"  Deciding when to stop is always a challenge when creating any kind of art. It is very easy to go too far and lose the freshness and charm.

Anyway, I am posting photos of two pieces along with the previous "Sea" piece for comparison.  The first photo also includes a selection of fabric paints, Shiva oilsticks , threads and beads I am considering for addition later. At this point each piece measures 14" x18" without a border.

new work-land 137 - Copy

new work-trees 138 - Copy 

new work-sea 140 - Copy

No comments: