Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Progression

Initial broad strokes of colour have been replaced by a more refined layering of fabrics and wools to show a gradation of sand and water.  The wool roving I have used for the sand almost looks like dog fur when it has been felted with other materials.  This creates  interesting possibilities for future work. Woof! Woof!

blog 006

The land in the background has been depicted in a simple abstract style as a contrast to the more textured foreground.

blog 007

blog 008

Having cannibalized one piece for materials to use with the  others, I am only working on three pieces now.  I suppose it is a bit like eating your young!  Quite acceptable in the world of collage. 

I have been working indiscriminately back and forth  between the different pieces- sometimes one becomes a favourite but then loses out to  new  excitement about possibilities in an other.  Again, a silly correlation  to parenting, but somehow working in a series like this enables me to switch my focus between the different pieces and still create a cohesive grouping.  When I am stuck on one piece it helps to direct my energies elsewhere for awhile.

The photos have become a starting point for some compositional elements such as broad areas of light vs dark and colour choices but I am  not bound to striving for any particular degree of realism.  They are merely to inspire! What more can I ask of nature.

No comments: