Friday, June 18, 2010

Chris' graduation 2010


Receiving his diploma
Originally uploaded by Janice Saunders

My oldest son graduated from Algonquin College's Paramedic Program yesterday. It's hard to articulate the enormous pride I felt watching 'my little boy'... he's six feet tall... graduate in his chosen profession and enter the world of work. My funny, charming son will now be out there helping to save lives. Well done Chris!

We got a good seat in the second row at floor level but we were still a long way from the stage so I used my AF-S NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G lens. It’s a bit of a beast… heavy and difficult to hold still at anything over 200mm but it was the only way to get some nice close-ups of my son walking in and receiving his diploma. I used the arm rest of my seat to help stabilize me whenever possible. It was still on the camera when I captured him coming back into the arena.. he walked quite close by me… but the lights and  happiness apparent in the face of this ‘new graduate’ make this an effective picture even with the obvious grainy texture.  Later I switched to an AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G for the shots outside with family. They are just quick candid photos…we were ready to go out for dinner to celebrate!

No comments: