Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Marlborough Forest and Long Island Locks


Entering the second lock, 2
Originally uploaded by Janice Saunders

My husband nudged me at six Saturday morning, "Wake up! Lets take our cameras and take the dogs for a walk." Ok.

After a little detour to Tim's we headed out Roger Steven's drive to the Marlborough Forest . At the first trail parking lot the flies swarmed the car. We didn't get out. So, we tried the trail lot on the other side of the road hoping for a less unpleasant reception. It was a little better and the dogs were really eager to get out and explore. They ran and we trudged along with a cloud of flies buzzing around our heads. I told my husband that this is the way all horror movies start ...heading out along a trail with no idea where it goes whilst being harassed by dark cloud of bugs. It didn't help either that I had only finished half my cup of coffee!


I decided to spend the time playing with the telephoto lens in hopes of capturing some wildlife, mostly birds. I took a number of photos of the male and female warbler but the female or immature bird shots were the best. Hard to catch these little guys sitting still and not obscured by leaves etc. Even though the ponds were the source of all the bugs, they provided some wonderful opportunities to photo the reflections of the foliage on the water.

Later after dropping the dogs back home we headed over to the Long Island Locks. There is always something to photograph there when the locks are in action at this time of year. There were also more birds... chickadees, woodpeckers, osprey, heron, cedar waxwings, and the usual robins and crows. Again, timing and a steady hand are crucial to capture a good photo of small birds that are usually high up in the trees or sky. It is definitely a challenge particularly without the benefit of a tripod.

I used my new camera bag from Lowepro, the Inverse 100 AW, on this outing. It is supposed to be worn in the back but I wore it in front as this is the way I will need to wear it on our backpacking trip, my pack will be on my back already. Having it in front actually gave me super easy access to change lenses and a handy spot to support my camera when I wasn't using it. It is quite heavy with the 70-300mm telephoto lens attached and resting it on the bag reduced some neck strain.

We returned home safe and sound around noon, a happy ending to a somewhat Hitchcock inspired beginning to our morning.

No comments: