Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Gray day

010 - Copy
Well, today is very gray day and this new piece reflects this with its somber mood. I did warm up the sky abit with the addition of a warm neutral gray. The image is from a series of photos taken while vacationing in New Brunswick, Canada this past summer.

What did I use? Right now I am working on Sennelier, La Carte pastel board. I like the tooth as I put my pastels on quite heavy. I use a combination of Nupastels, Rembrandt, Sennelier and Schmincke pastels. I also use fixative at various stages when I want to add a new layer on top of a previous thick layer. I try to avoid fixing too much at the end as it really does darken the colours and reduce the sparkle.

This piece has a more abstracted style than the previous two, and I am using a colour scheme that I usually don't use - grays! Generally I am drawn to brighter, happier colours but the grays definitely have their charm as well. It is amazing how the brightness of the sun or lack of it affect colour choices and mood.

No comments: